Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ode to South Carolina Student Loan Corporation

As I write out this check to the South Carolina Student Loan Corp, I couldn’t help but wonder all the things I could do if I didn’t make my student loan payments.

Get the oil changed in my car ($125), Get my hair done by a real beautician ($65), Get some cosmetic dentistry ($250), Pay my credit card bills (too much to even think about writing down), Pay Tee Dee to come clean my house, ($75), Replace the broken glass in my sliding glass door ($75), Go grocery shopping ($55), Take Chi Chi to the vet, ($125), Take Chester to the vet ($125), Go to Mint Julep’s for a few drinks and appetizers, ($35), Go play golf ($35).

Although begrudgedly, I write out the monthly payment anyway, because if I didn’t have the student loans, I would probably:

Be hunting a ride to go renew my bus pass, Be rocking a bright red weave that my cousin ‘them did, Be taking my gold tooth out to brush my teeth, Not even care about the credit card bills, Wouldn’t care if the house was junky, Hang a sheet over the sliding glass door, Be going grocery shopping with my EBT card, Be taking my children Chi Chi and Chester to the health department, Be going the Mr. Brown’s Seafood for some fish, Be hanging out at the ball court.

Not to mention: Be dumb, Be unemployed, and Knocked up right now.

God Bless the South Carolina Student Loan Corporation.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. Those degrees help a whole lot with quality of life. But amazingly, the bachelors degree is becoming the new high school diploma.

    ReplyDelete